E Toll Policy:
For all rentals despatched from, departing and/or returning to our Johannesburg depot will be charged a fee of R500 per rental agreement. This fee will be included in your quotation when applicable. eToll tags are installed in all our vehicles. These tags are debited with gantry levies in Gauteng, and also open gates on debit at toll gates on the major roads in South Africa that bear the eToll logo.
THRSA offers 2 liability cover options, namely, Standard & Super Cover. This cover is NOT a personal liability cover, but cover for damage to our vehicles and/or 3rd party property. Details below:
This cover carries an excess of R/N $45,000 which is applicable in the event of any accident or damage to either our vehicle or third party property. This excess of R/N $45,000 is pre-authorised on the renter’s Visa or MasterCard credit card at the time of collection. Funds will only be deducted from this amount, should the renter return the vehicle in a damaged condition or for any 3rd party damage. If no claims exist, this excess is released within 21-30 working days from date of return, by the renter’s financial institution. Standard liability cover does not include repair to or replacement of tyres and windscreens.
A daily rate is charged per day (R 350) as per your quotation/rental agreement detailed as SUP. This cover is a NO EXCESS cover and is applicable to the vehicle and third party property damage and includes the cost of replacing or repairing of windscreens and tyres, radio theft and recovery costs. A security deposit of R/N $ 3,000 is pre-authorised on the renter’s Visa or MasterCard credit card at the time of collection to ensure that the vehicle is returned to the agreed location, on the agreed date, in a clean condition and no items are lost or damaged. This security deposit is fully refunded within 21-30 working days, after date of return, should all the terms and conditions be adhered to.
Claims Handling Fee:
A handling fee of R/N $500 is charged on all damage/accident claims irrespective of the liability cover option taken.
Single vehicle accidents are included in all liability cover options, except in the case of roll-overs. In case of damage to the vehicle rented, the following will apply:
All accidents must be reported to THRSA, and by law, to the Local Police within 24 hours. An AR (accident report) number from the police must be obtained at the time of reporting the incident. This proves that the accident has been registered. Failing to report accidents may void all liability cover and the Renter becomes fully liable for all costs. We advise that you take as many photographs of the accident scene and also obtain the third party details. These can be recorded on the reverse side of the rental pack envelope supplied to you on collection. We also suggest you take a photograph of the driver’s licences of the persons involved. An accident report which is provided in the RENTAL PACK, must also be completed. These documents and records of evidence will be submitted to THRSA in order to process the incident.
The renter is responsible for the recovery of the damaged vehicle to the original rental branch depending on the liability cover option taken. A replacement vehicle will only be dispatched once payment of all damages / recovery costs to the first vehicle is made. THRSA reserves the right to withhold a replacement vehicle; this does not entitle the client to any claims against THRSA. If the renter requires a replacement vehicle to be delivered, charges will be levied according to the liability cover option taken on the rental. If the renter is not able to take a replacement vehicle, no refunds for early termination of the contract will be considered. Should the renter continue with a replacement vehicle, this vehicle will be noted under the current rental contract and standard cover will be applicable. This includes a new R/NAM $ 45,000 pre-authorisation on the nominated credit card. Super waiver cover is not available on a replacement vehicle. Should the applicable excess be charged, and should THRSA be successful in the reimbursement of that amount by the 3rd party, this amount will be refunded to the renter. This process could take up to three years.
Exceptions & Conditions
Exclusions of all cover options: The renter is fully liable for any damage to the THRSA vehicle or third party property if:
- Any terms of the rental contract is breached; Damages are sustained whilst the renter/driver is in violation of any traffic laws or ordinances; Damage to the vehicle is caused by careless, wilful or reckless driving. This includes:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving on restricted or unrecognised roads
- Driving after sunset
- Driving over the recommended speed limits as outlined in this document
- Not adhering to the vehicle height restrictions; Related to water submersion or salt water damage:
- A vehicle may not go through water higher than 30cm in depth; The vehicle was driven in a country in which written approval was not obtained from THRSA; Damage is incurred due to incorrect use of the hand brake; The damage is to the clutch (An allowance of up to three days after collection is given, in which time a faulty clutch can be reported. Thereafter, it is deemed as the renter’s responsibility). The customer is then liable for:
- The cost of the clutch kit which is R/N $10,500 including VAT and installation; There is undercarriage damage. This includes damage to the following:
- Side sills, prop-shaft, torsion bars, stone guards, all undercarriage parts.
- Engine & transmission, including the gearbox, side shaft, exhaust system, leaf springs, bottom spare tyre/hanger and oil sump; Roll-overs are not covered in any liability cover options. A roll over is defined as a vehicle sustaining all types of damage due to it not being on all 4 wheels; The incorrect fuel is pumped into the fuel tank and/or fuel in the water tank will incur a R 20 000 cost. THRSA advises that should this occur, the vehicle is to remain turned off and not started under any circumstances. This reduces the damage caused;
- Any roof damage, is not covered. The renter is liable for all damages. Caution needs to be taken when driving under branches, bridges, through archways or any overhead obstructions.
The renter is responsible for any damages or accidents that THRSA has not been made aware of on the return of the vehicle. Please note the applicable charges will be charged to the nominated credit card. THRSA is not responsible for any damage or theft to items of a personal nature. Travel and personal insurance is strongly recommended. Rules in respect of replacemnet vehicles (whether due to an accident or vehicle damage):
In the case of undercarriage, clutch or water damage the following is applicable: The repairs and recovery (towing) costs of the vehicle is the responsibility of the renter. The following recovery / replacement rates will apply:
- Within South Africa: ZAR/N $ 6.00 per kilometre
- Outside of South Africa: ZAR/N $ 12.00 per kilometre
(To & from Maun incurs an extra R/N$ 9,500.00
- Should a replacement vehicle be required, THRSA will replace the vehicle within 24 hours in South Africa and 48 hours outside the South African borders.
- A new pre-authorisation for the standard cover excess, will be blocked on the nominated Visa or MasterCard credit card for the replacement vehicle.
The air-conditioning supplied in the cabin of the vehicle, is designed to be used in South African weather conditions. In regions where the temperatures reach in excess of 30 degrees Celsius, or the humidity is higher than 60%, the unit may not work as effectively. This is normal and does not constitute grounds to request a replacement vehicle. Whenever the vehicle is stationery, or idling for prolonged periods, the cabin air-conditioner must be switched off to prevent damage.
Namibia and Botswana are predominantly arid desert regions and the majority of secondary routes travelled, are on unsealed dust or gravel roads. It is not possible to make vehicles dust-proof and therefore refunds or claims for any dust ingress of any nature, will not be considered.
All vehicles are supplied with equipment (unless otherwise agreed upon). Our liability cover options do not cover any equipment supplied with the vehicle. Any loss or damage to the equipment including items such as GPS, fridges, compressors, tents etc. will be charged to your credit card. Should any of your equipment malfunction during the rental period, THRSA is not liable to provide a replacement vehicle. Repairs can be made according to below Vehicle Repairs section.
4x4 Equipped vehicles are allowed to be driven on public bitumen/tar roads or gravel roads as well as on public recognized 4x4 tracks in Botswana, Mozambique (Up to Vilanculous only), Namibia, South Africa, Zambia (Livingstone only) and Zimbabwe (No further North than Harare). THRSA does not allow our vehicles to enter the following countries under any circumstances: Kenya, Angola, Malawi or Tanzania.
Cross Border Documentation:
A cross border fee per vehicles per rental of R 650 applies for cross border documentation into Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Swaziland. The vehicle documentation is for the vehicle cross border requirements ONLY. THRSA are not liable for the arrangement or payment of visas, permits, third party insurances or road taxes applicable to the countries of entry. These are for the renter’s account and can be arranged prior to travel or at the borders of the applicable countries. All cross border applications are to be accompanied by a clear copy of the renter’s passport & driver’s license to be received seven days prior to collection.
It is possible that during your rental, small repairs may be required due to the nature of the terrain. Repairs of up to R/N $ 1,000 may be affected without prior authorisation from THRSA and such repairs will be reimbursed, on the submission of a claim with original receipts attached. Amounts above R/N $ 1,000 will require verbal/telephonic approval from THRSA on-road assistance. (numbers provided in your rental pack). Should a call-out fee be charged by a supplier to replace a tyre, approval must be obtained from your collection branch. Should permission be granted by THRSA for an overnight stay in a lodge, due to repairs, a maximum allowance of R 800 per night per vehicle is granted for a maximum of one night in South Africa, and two nights outside of South Africa. Should a replacement vehicle be required due to a mechanical fault not due to negligence, THRSA will replace the vehicle within 24 hours in South Africa and 48 hrs outside of South Africa, at no extra cost to the renter.
THRSA must be informed of keys lost or locked inside a vehicle. The replacement or recovery of keys is for the renter’s account. THRSA cannot be held liable for any time/days lost and/or accommodation or any other costs incurred, due to the replacement or recovery of keys.
The renter is responsible for the repairing of flat or punctured tyres. The driver should not exceed indicated speed limits, but THRSA recommends a speed of 100km/h on tarred roads, and 40km/h on gravel/sealed or corrugated roads. Tyres get hot and pressures increase at higher speeds. Tyres are then susceptible to damage especially on uneven surfaces. When replacing a tyre, please ensure that it is of the same brand, size and ply rating as that of the damaged tyre. Reconditioned or re-treaded tyres are NOT acceptable. The renter is required to check the tyre pressure when the tyres are cold (i.e. not after travelling for more than 10km), at regular intervals. All tyres should be checked, including spares.
All THRSA vehicles are fitted with SABS approved tracking devices. Tracking is monitored in all Southern Africa destinations as allowed by THRSA. THRSA reserves the right to repossess the rental vehicle at any time if it is found illegally parked, being used to violate the law or appears to be abandoned and if the renter is in breach of any terms or conditions of the rental agreement.
The renter is liable for all fines and penalties in relation to the driver's use of the vehicle or the vehicle itself incurred during the rental period plus an administration fee of ZAR/N $250 for each infringement or penalty notice that has been redirected by THRSA to the renter.
All charges include 14% VAT in South Africa and 15% VAT in Namibia. All rates are quoted in ZAR and NAM$ THRSA is not responsible for any currency fluctuations that may occur in any transaction. Terms and conditions are subject to change in accordance with changes in government taxes.
Change of Vehicle - Substitutions:
If, for reasons beyond our control, the reserved vehicle is not available, THRSA reserve the right to substitute a comparable or superior vehicle at no extra cost to the renter. This shall not constitute a breach of contract and does not entitle the renter to any form of refund.
Multiple Rentals: - Minimum of 7 days per Country
As a franchisee of BRITZ, multiple Britz rentals can be combined to qualify for a longer term rental rate. South African, Australian and New Zealand rentals can be combined to qualify if travel is within a 12 month period.
Shortening of Rental Period:
If a renter shortens their hire period by more than a week - it may be treated as a cancellation of the whole booking and a re-booking. This depends on when the amendment takes place and how many days of hire are being cancelled. Please ensure you always have travel insurance in place.
- If cancelled up to 25 days prior to pick-up - No Fee If cancelled from 24 to 7 days prior to pick-up - 25% of Gross Rental Rates If cancelled from 7 to 1 day prior to pick-up - 50% of Gross Rental If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show - 100% of Gross Rental
- If vehicle is returned early for any reason whatsoever no refund is available for the unused portion of the hire
Any claims or legal action in connection with the provision of our services to the client will be governed by the laws of South Africa/Namibia. Any claim or legal action against the suppliers is likely to be subject to the terms and conditions of our contract with them.
- Locations within South Africa are charged at South African vehicle daily rates. Locations outside South Africa are charged at Namibia vehicle daily rates. Whilst including the same facilities, some 4x4 equipped vehicles may have different layouts and or equipment types to those shown. All measurements and volumes shown are approximate. The information provided is subject to change without notice.
- Towing is not permitted under any circumstances.
Britz reserves the right to refuse any rental at its discretion.